Algae are simple plants that naturally appear in an aquarium. When overgrown, they can spoil the appearance of the aquarium, covering glass, plants, decorations, and in some cases making the water green. You cannot prevent algae from entering the aquarium, but you can control their growth and prevent problems.
Want no algae in your tank? Think it’s incredibly difficult? Nothing like this! Everything is very simple if you know the basic secrets of algae.
- Algae loves the light. Especially sunny! Never place the aquarium in front of a window, on a windowsill, or in places exposed to direct sunlight for more than 2 hours a day.
- Never leave the aquarium lamp on for 24 hours. If there are living plants in your aquarium, then turn on the lighting for 8-10 hours a day – this is quite enough for the growth of higher plants, but algae will have to be tight.
- Do not use too strong or too weak light in the aquarium – both of them will cause an outbreak of algae, only in the first case there will be green algae, and in the second – with a lack of light – brown. Everything is good in moderation!
- Algae loves a high content of organic matter in water, so regular changes (15-30 percent of the aquarium’s volume per week) or the use of special products and excipients (such as Tetra EasyBalance and Tetra NitrateMinus Pearls) will allow you to avoid substitution and get rid of excess nitrates, phosphates, which algae feed on.
- Use high-quality feeds containing prebiotics for better fish absorption and minimal waste (such as TetraMin Pro). Since most of the nutrients get into the aquarium with food.
- Do not keep a high temperature in the aquarium (above +26 ° C) – for most fish and plants this is not necessary or even harmful, but algae will really like it!
- Use neutral rocks as ground and decoration, such as quartz sand, river pebbles, artificial baked clay soils, such as Tetra ActiveSubstrat. They will not release calcium salts into the water, causing an increase in water hardness and pH and favoring the growth of algae. Do not use marble chips, coral sand, limestone and other rocks that will hiss if you put vinegar on them in ordinary aquariums.
- Do not use powerful filters that will create a strong current – many red algae, such as “black beard” and “Staghorn algae”, are very fond of it. At the output of the filters, install a “flute” or “rain” – a tube with holes that will break a powerful stream into small streams.
- If you want to grow aquarium plants, then immediately try to plant your aquarium to the maximum with fast-growing and unpretentious long stalks (hornwort, Elodea, cabomba, trichocoronis, hygrophila, Hygrophila corymbosa) – their rapid growth will not leave food for algae!
- Use fertilizers for plants wisely – any overdose can cause an outbreak of algae! Fertilizers should not be added if you have a weak light, very few plants in the aquarium, or most of them are slow-growing (anubias).
- Do not place plants that are abundantly covered with any algae in the aquarium!
Catfish, Shrimp, and Snails
- If you want to use animals such as snails, shrimps, catfish “suckers” and various algae eaters as an anti-algae remedy – do not forget that they do not owe you anything, they do not get a salary and were not hired for work! They will eat algae only where they want, and not where you would like!
Aquarium animals that feed on algae are well suited as a preventative measure, especially if all of the above conditions are met.
Watch this good video about how to beat algae in the aquarium: Be careful this video has SOUND!
Fighting the consequences
Now you also know what conditions you need to create in the aquarium to limit the growth of algae, but what if you have already encountered an attack from these unpleasant representatives of the flora?
The best remedy for algae outbreak control will be special preparations – algaecides. But not all drugs are equally safe for your inhabitants! Therefore, the choice of algicide should be treated with due attention!
- Preparations containing copper sulfate will be dangerous for all invertebrates (crayfish, shrimp, snails), some sensitive fish, and plants.
- Means based on glutaraldehyde have not undergone special studies on the health effects of aquarium inhabitants and the aquarists themselves, so their use will be on your conscience!
- The safest for all aquarium organisms and their owners will be funds based on monolinuron – such as the Tetra line of drugs.
- Algae products are available in various versions. Liquid Tetra AlguMin Plus and instant Tetra Algizit tablets – for immediate suppression of an outbreak of algae, such as, for example, “flowering water”. Tetra AlgoStop depot insoluble tablets release the active substance for a month to combat the most stable red algae – Audeuinella, black beard, Staghorn algae. And finally, Tetra algetten – long-acting insoluble tablets with a mild effect for the prevention of algae and the suppression of small quantities, the drug is well suited for small aquariums.
Gentle algae control for a long time. To stop the growth of existing algae and use for preventive purposes. The concentration of active substances slowly increases, thereby providing a soft long-term effect, after 4-7 days, the amount of algae significantly decreases, and the growth of new ones slows down.
Long-term effect against all types of algae. Long-acting tablets stop the growth of existing algae in a freshwater aquarium.
Destroys filamentous and bundled algae, prevents the development of algae.
Recommended for the fight against the “black beard”.
Fights hard-to-remove algae. To combat algae with their strong development.
It contains substances that instantly stop the growth of existing algae, acts quickly and effectively.
Fast and highly effective against all types of algae. The active substance is immediately released and provides a quick action. Optimum distribution of the active substance thanks to the liquid formula. For all freshwater aquariums
Well, now you can easily choose the tool that suits you! But this is not all, because, in order to use the drug safely and effectively, you need to know a few secrets of the use of anti-algae drugs!
- Follow the instructions! Accurately calculate the dose of the drug, measure your aquarium by the amount of water! Beware of overdose!
- Provide the aquarium with good aeration day and night during the action of the drug! Do not turn off the filters!
- Before the introduction of the drug, do a general cleaning – siphon the soil, change the water, wash the filter!
- Make sure that there is no activated carbon cartridge in the filter and the UV sterilizer is turned off (if you use them)! Otherwise, they will destroy the drug and it will not work.
- When you notice a mass death of algae, remove them with a hose or net, as their decomposition can cause water damage.
Now you will forget about what algae in your aquarium! Good luck